“Fathers who smoke pass on damaged DNA to their children – raising the risk of cancer,” the Daily Mail has warned.
The Mail’s story was based on a small study of predominantly Greek families, whose lifestyle and genetic make-up were analyzed to detect whether parental smoking before and during pregnancy led to DNA damage in their newborn babies.
Mothers smoking during pregnancy and fathers smoking before pregnancy were the two most relevant factors to predicting the level of genetic damage in the newborn.
The Mail’s suggestion that this DNA damage could increase the child’s risk of cancer is slightly misleading. This study did not investigate whether the DNA damage had any effect on the infants’ cancer risk, or their risk of any other disease.
Smoking during pregnancy is already known to harm the unborn child. This study suggests that fathers who smoke regularly before conception may also damage their children (at a genetic level), but stops short of proving this or demonstrating how paternal smoking may affect the health of the infant.
Stock Photo credit: theRIAA
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Marriages and Miscarriages: One Woman's Personal Experience
by Kathleen Smith
-- Kathleen Smith shares her experience regarding the three pregnancy losses she experienced.
The trials and emotional changes, the feelings experienced when being around other pregnant woman after having had a pregnancy loss, how turning to God got her through them, and more.
Kathleen, a mother of three and entering her sixteenth year of marriage, relates her personal feelings and emotions.
As you read the book you will experience a conversation with Kathleen about this topic, and learn how one woman dealt and struggled with this topic.
Paperback: 80 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Marriages and Pregnancy Losses
-- Start reading Marriages and Pregnancy Losses on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!