It's time to update this out-of-date quote:
"In 2008, there were more than 106,000 live births in the United States to women ages 40 through 44, and 7,666 live births to women 45 to 54. In 2006, there were 2,274 live births to women over 42, using donor eggs."
Checking the 2009 birth stats today at the CDC and I found:
Age of mother
Women in their 40s -- The birth rate for women aged 40-44 rose 3 percent in 2009 from 9.8 in 2008 to 10.1 live births per 1,000 women - the highest rate reported since 1967.
Women aged 45-49 -- The birth rate rose 3 percent from 2008 to 2009 whereas their population fell slightly.
Women aged 50 and over -- The number of births to women aged 50 and over reached 569 in 2009, 5 percent above that in 2008
Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility
by Sami S. David, Jill Blakeway
» Buy US | CA | UK
40–44 years................. 105,827 live births
45–49 years................ 7,320 live births
50-54 years................. 569 live births
TOTAL (40-54) : 113,716 live births
NOTE: In this report, tables labeled 45-49 years, 45-54 years, and 50-54 years include births to mothers up to age 64.
Next I went to SART, who has the 2010 IVF and Donor Egg rates in the US:
(over 42) 5,546
Percentage of cycles resulting in live births : (41-42) 12.5
(over 42) 4.1
Total live births : (41-42) 1,206
(over 42) 227
TOTAL (over 40) : 1,433
Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
by Toni Weschler
» Buy US | CA | UK
Thawed Embryos From Non-Donor Oocytes
Number of transfers : (41-42) 1,521 (over 42) 1,088
Percentage of transfers resulting in live births : (41-42) 21.4
(over 42) 15.3
Total live births : (41-42) 325
(over 42) 166
TOTAL (over 40) : 491
Total number of women conceiving from IVF (non-DE) (over 40) : 1,924
Donor Oocytes (all ages)
Number of transfers : (Fresh Embryos) 9,321
(Thawed Embryos) 6,183
Percentage of transfers resulting in live births : (Fresh) 55.6
Total Live Births : (Fresh) 5,182
TOTAL births by Donor Egg (all ages) : 7,333
Having Your Baby Through Egg Donation
by Elen Sarasohn Glazer, Evelina Weidman Sterling
» Buy US | CA | UK
How old were the women who used ART in the United States in 2008?
Figure 3 presents ART cycles performed in the United States in 2009 according to the age of the woman who had the procedure. The average age of women using ART services in 2009 was 36. The largest group of women using ART services were women younger than 35, representing approximately 39% of all ART cycles performed in 2009. Approximately 20% of ART cycles were performed among women aged 35–37, 21% among women aged 38–40, 10% among women aged 41–42, 6% among women aged 43–44, and 5% among women older than 44.
How did the types of ART cycles used in the United States differ among women of different ages?
Figure 4 shows that, in 2009, the type of ART cycles varied by the woman’s age. The vast majority (97%) of women younger than 35 used their own eggs, whereas about 3% used donor eggs. In contrast, 36% of women aged 43–44 and 73% of women older than 44 used donor eggs. Across all age groups, more ART cycles using fresh eggs or embryos were performed than cycles using frozen embryos.
Number of live-birth deliveries to women using Donor Egg older than 43 in 2009: 806
So our updated quote becomes:
"In 2009, there were 105,827 live births in the United States to women ages 40 through 44 -- 7,320 live births to women 45 to 49 --and-- 569 live births to women 50-64.
In 2009, there were only 806 live births to women over 43, using donor eggs."
Photo credit: ejaycruz
All rights reserved
SUGGESTED READING LIST:
• Get Pregnant Naturally - Discover how to reverse infertility... at any age! Even if you're in your late 40's.
• Fibroids Miracle™ -- How to naturally and permanently eliminate your Uterine Fibroids without drugs, surgery or any kind of gimmicks.
• Ovarian Cyst Miracle™ -- Get the FACTS on how to eliminate your Ovarian Cysts 100% naturally and Permanently. Achieve LASTING freedom from PCOS related symptoms without spending your hard-earned money on meds.
• Prince or Princess? -- Can you really choose your baby's gender? What you need to know before you conceive.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Jamberry Nails: The hottest trend in nail design. Get high-end nail art without the fuss of polish - or expensive salon visits! Like them on Facebook
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!