An article in the British medical journal, Lancet, shows that giving antibiotics at the time of retrieving eggs from a women to make her pregnant later markedly increase her chances of getting pregnant.
This study shows that some doctors are governed more by how much they can make than how much they can save their patients in expenses and needless procedures. When a couple has difficulty getting pregnant, they often seek out a specialist called a reproductive endocrinologist.
The evaluation can cost around $10,000 and treatment can cost $150,000. So virtually every couple who shows up at a reproductive endocrinologists door will get an evaluation and treatment that will cost as much as $150,000. In fact, one doctor was reported to offer no money down and 500 dollars a month for 15 years to a patient.
The most common cause of infertility is infection which can often be cured just by taking antibiotics for a little longer than one week. Yet I have not seen a single reproductive endocrinologist give his patients antibiotics and tell them to come back only if they cannot become pregnant. The Lancet article stated that giving antibiotics a the time of a $10,000 procedure increases a woman's chances of getting pregnant. Why doesn't the doctor first try antibiotics without the $10,000 procedure?
Lancet, August 21, 1999.
Stock Photo credit: bikindem
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
You Can Get Pregnant Over 40, Naturally:
Overcoming infertility and recurrent loss in your late 30's and 40's naturally
by Sandy Robertson
-- Feeling physically, emotionally and financially drained after years of fertility treatments, Sandy Robertson started researching natural methods to enhance fertility.
This led to a specific pregnancy protocol which includes how she conceived multiple times over the age of 40 with only one fallopian tube, overcame recurrent pregnancy loss, balanced hormones, increased pelvic circulation, practiced visualization and meditation, reduced stress, and found support.
Paperback - Click to order/for more info: You Can Get Pregnant Over 40, Naturally (US)
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!