Here's how I figured it out:
In 2011, there were approximately 3.95 million births in the United States.
In the United States during 2008-2010 (average), the highest birth rates per 1,000 women were to women ages 20-29 (103.8), followed by women ages 30-39 (71.5), ages 15-19 (38.2) and ages 40 and older (10.8).
• Of all live births in the United States during 2008-2010 (average), 2.8% were to women ages 40 and older.
So if in 2011 there were 3,950,000 live births,
then 2.8% makes 110,600 babies born to women over 40.
And most of them were not conceived by donor egg.
Donor Egg 2010 national statistics
• Donor eggs or embryos were used in approximately 12% of all ART cycles performed in 2010 (18,011 cycles).
• The likelihood of a fertilized egg implanting is related to the age of the woman who produced the egg.
• The percentage of transfers resulting in live births for cycles using embryos from women’s own eggs declines as women get older.
Total number of reporting clinics: 443
Donor Eggs: Fresh Embryos: All Ages Combined
Number of transfers: 9,866
Percentage of transfers resulting in live births: 55.8
(5,505 live births)
Donor Eggs: Frozen Embryos: All Ages Combined
Number of transfers: 6,665
Percentage of transfers resulting in live births: 34.9
(2,326 live births)
That's a total of 7,831 Donor Egg babies born in the US in 2010 to ANY AGE mother - compared to 110,600 babies born to women over 40.
That leaves 102,769 babies born to women over 40 - without using donor eggs!
Photo credit: Baby Portrait by Vera Kratochvil
Public Domain photo: Creative Commons Deed CC0
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup: A Guy's Guide to the World of Infertility
by Greg Wolfe
-- The man's guide to anything and everything in the infertility universe.
Greg Wolfe went through four cycles of IVF on his rocky journey to fatherhood—and now, with profound sympathy and side-splitting humor, he lays it all out for guys on similar baby-making quests.
How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup is not your typical nuts and bolts (no pun intended) medical guide but a helpful handbook designed specifically with the male partner in mind, with answers to his most pressing questions about the infertility process...
Paperback: 256 pages - Click to order/for more info: How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup on your Kindle in under a minute! US/Canada | Canada | UK
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!