Doctors are apparently warning women that high doses of drugs taken to stimulate the ovaries in the process of in vitro fertilization (IVF) may damage eggs and womb lining reducing the woman's chance of conceiving.
The reports come in advance of the first annual meeting of the International Society of Natural Cycle Assisted Reproduction (ISNAR).
The world's first test-tube baby, Louise Brown, born in 1978, used an IVF procedure which collected the woman's eggs during ovulation making the most of her natural cycle.
The use of high dose drugs has increased as older women, with less chance of success, are seeking treatment for infertility.
It is believed that one in twenty IVF patients suffer some side effect from the drugs used, this can range from pain and bloating to kidney damage.
Full article: BioNews.org.uk
Photo credit: Raw Justification, by makelessnoise / Brian, on Flickr
Some rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Motherhood After 35: Choices, Decisions, Options
by Maggie Jones
-- How is having a baby different for women in their late thirties and early forties?
If you're between 35 and 45 and trying to have a baby, or have already conceived, here's the reassurance you need ... and the facts you've been waiting for.
Maggie Jones evaluates the advantages as well as the risks of later motherhood.
Whether you are considering your first pregnancy after 35 or are starting a "second" family later in life, Motherhood After 35 is written with you in mind.
The author describes simply and clearly how to have the healthiest pregnancy possible and the options available.
Paperback: 192 pages
Click to order/for more info: Motherhood After 35
Find it on Amazon: US | Canada | UK
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
More "Pregnancy Over 40" blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!