Treatment of Antinuclear Antibodies
Women with ANA are treated with prednisone, a corticosteroid, which suppresses the inflammatory process and stabilizes the cell.
Prednisone does not pass through the placenta easily and is also broken down by enzymes in the placenta so that the fetus is exposed to only trace amounts.
Additionally, the body produces the equivalent of 8 mg per day of this corticosteroid. When indicated, Prednisone should be started prior to conception.
Treatment for Antiphospholipid Antibodies
Antiphospholipid antibodies are treated with low dose (baby) aspirin and a blood thinner called Heparin. Heparin is a very large molecule and is unable to cross the placenta. Aspirin is able to cross the placenta but the dose used is so small that the fetus is unaffected.
The effectiveness of treatment is much greater when the medication, if indicated, is started prior to conception and continued throughout the pregnancy. All medication, if indicated should be discussed with one's physician.
Treatment for Antithyroid AntibodiesIn IVF patients, antithyroid antibodies (ATAs) are treated with intravenous immune globulin (IVIg) before the IVF transfer. There is no specific treatment for ATA in patients with recurrent miscarriage unless it is associated with other abnormalities.
Treatment for Immunophenotypes
Women who have an elevation of NK cells are candidates for immunologlobulin G infusion (IVIg). The dosage of IVIg is 400 mg/kg/day for three consecutive days, monthly, until the NK cells become normal or until the 28th week of pregnancy.
In some studies, autoantibodies to phospholipid and nuclear epitopes were demonstrably lower after IVIg. Some researchers have used Enbrel, a TNF alpha inhibitor, instead of, or in addition to IVIg. Presently, there is not enough data to assess the true efficacy of Enbrel therapy.
Full article: Rialab.com
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Marriages and Miscarriages: One Woman's Personal Experience
by Kathleen Smith
-- Kathleen Smith shares her experience regarding the three pregnancy losses she experienced.
The trials and emotional changes, the feelings experienced when being around other pregnant woman after having had a pregnancy loss, how turning to God got her through them, and more.
Kathleen, a mother of three and entering her sixteenth year of marriage, relates her personal feelings and emotions.
As you read the book you will experience a conversation with Kathleen about this topic, and learn how one woman dealt and struggled with this topic.
Paperback: 80 pages - Click to order/for more info: Marriages and Pregnancy Losses - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading Marriages and Pregnancy Losses on your Kindle in under a minute! US/Canada | Canada | UK
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!