Women may want to consider these supplements:
• A quality multivitamin may increase fertility.
(Czeizel AE, Metneki J, Dudas I. The effect of preconceptional multivitamin supplementation on fertility. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 1996;66:55–8).
• Iron (10-20 mg/day)
Anemia can lead to infertility. Women who bleed profusely may be anemic, those who rarely bleed may in fact be either anemic or too high in iron.
• Vitamin C (500-1500 mg/day)
This powerful anti-oxidant helps to protect cells and strengthen the immune system.
• Vitamin E (400-800 i.u. per day)
Vitamin E may increase egg quality. In a preliminary human trial, infertile couples given vitamin E (200 IU per day for the female and 100 IU per day for the male) showed a significant increase in fertility. (Bayer R. Treatment of infertility with vitamin E. Int J Fertil 1960;5:70–8)
• PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) (400 mg/day)
Some women have become pregnant with PABA. PABA is believed to increase the ability of estrogen to facilitate fertility. (Sieve BF. The clinical effects of a new B-complex factor, para-aminobenzoic acid, on pigmentation and fertility. South Med Surg 1942;104:135–9)
• Co-enzyme-Q10 (30-100 mg/day)
May improve egg quality.
• Folate, also known as folic acid (400-800 mcg/day)
Folic acid may prevent neural tube defects and other birth defects. It also protects your heart.
• L-Arginine (16 g/day)
Was shown to increase fertility in women who had previously failed in-vitro fertilization-IVF-procedures. (Battaglia C, Salvatori M, Maxia N, et al. Adjuvant L-arginine treatment for in-vitro fertilization in poor responder patients. Hum Reprod 1999;14:1690–7)
• Essential fatty acids (EFA) (1-7 grams per day)
can help the health of your reproductive system, insulin levels, heart and brain. EFA reduce inflammation throughout the body (a possible cause of PCOS and other types of infertility) and promote overall health. The best source is purified fish oil (don’t take cod liver oil as it is too high in vitamins A and D and may prove toxic).
Read more: BellaOnline.com
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy:
The Surprising Unbiased Truth about Foods You Should be Eating During Pregnancy but Probably Aren't
by Jonny Bowden Ph.D. C.N.S., Allison Tannis MS
-- Eat the best foods for your baby’s development!
Nutrition is never more critical than during pregnancy. What you choose to put on your plate affects you and your baby’s health not just in utero but for years to come.
However, many nutritional guidelines for pregnancy are complex, confusing, and offer an uninspiring list of things to eat for the next nine months.
Backed up by the latest nutritional research, this guide debunks pregnancy food myths and uncovers a number of surprising food choices that are superfoods for expectant mothers.
This one-of-a-kind nutrition reference guide is also packed with helpful quick-reference charts and sidebars, highlighting healthy (but no less delicious!) substitutes for commonly craved foods like ice cream and potato chips.
You’ll also discover the most up-to-date research regarding pregnancy dilemmas, such as how to get more omega-3s from fish in your diet while avoiding mercury. It’s pregnancy nutrition made easy!
Paperback: 320 pages - Click to order/for more info:
The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy - US | Canada | UK
-- Start reading The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy on your Kindle in under a minute! US | Canada | UK
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here: US | Canada | UK , or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!