Heavy smoking may lower the chances of embryo implantation in the uterus, according to a new study.
While it’s long been known that smoking impairs the ovaries, new research is suggesting that it may also have an impact on the uterine receptiveness.
The study is published online by the journal Human Reproduction.
Lead researcher Dr Sergio Soares said: "The fact that we see this result in a situation in which the oocytes (eggs) were donated by other women demonstrates that cigarette smoking negatively affects the receptiveness of the uterus independently of its effect on ovarian function."
For the study, light smokers were defined as those who smoked fewer than 10 cigarettes a day, with heavy smokers exceeding that level.
Another reason to quit, as if you didn’t have enough.
Stock Photo credit: CELALTEBER
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Fertile Female: How the Power of Longing for a Child Can Save Your Life and Change the World
by Julia Indichova
-- Written by an author whose expertise grew from an extensive counseling practice as well as personal experience.
The Fertile Female offers a hope-filled view of reproductive difficulties, with a deeper understanding of the often-confusing messages of mind-body and alternative medicine.
With an engaging mix of passion and humor the book initiates a public debate on the politics of infertility and its effect on our health care system.
Includes practice exercises and a section on dietary recommendations, complete with recipes.
Hardcover: 249 pages - Click to order/for more info: The Fertile Female - US | Canada | UK
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!