We have consistently believed that a woman is born with all the eggs she will have during her lifetime. Over every cycle eggs are produced and either fertilized or lost but there is a finite number, or so we thought.
Now there is a new theory which suggests that the ovaries do continue to produce eggs during adulthood – something that has never been considered before and could offer new hope for women. This is based on a new genetic study tracing the origins of immature egg cells, or ‘oocytes’, from the embryonic period right on into adulthood. It has been a given up to now that oocytes cannot be renewed in mammals after birth – you have what you were born with and no more. This leads women to being very aware that they have a time-frame in which to conceive and give birth and the older you are then the louder that biological clock can be heard ticking.
Clearly this is early stage research but does offer the future possibility that the biological clock could have a few more years than previously thought before it runs down. However, for women wanting to increase their chances of conception and a viable pregnancy the best option is still to ensure good progesterone levels as that is the most important element as its name suggests – pro meaning for and gest meaning life, it is about creating life.
Stock Photo credit: len-k-a
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Surprise Child: Finding Hope in Unexpected Pregnancy
by Leslie Leyland Fields
-- Unplanned pregnancies happen to women in every season of life: the newly married, the never-married, the empty-nester, the teenager, the overworked mother, the career woman.
Yet we rarely talk about how lonely and confusing this experience can be.
In Surprise Child, Leslie Leyland Fields, who experienced two unplanned pregnancies in her forties, lyrically weaves her own story with the stories of other women who understand the isolation you face as expectations and plans are turned upside down to make room for a child.
“Each year, more than three million women discover themselves pregnant–at a hard time, the wrong time, at a difficult place in their lives. I am one of those women.…”
Together, these women walk with you month-by-month through the physical and emotional stages of pregnancy, voicing with startling honesty their own anxieties and struggles. Here you will find the companionship and hope you need to journey toward new life.
Paperback: 176 pages - Click to order/for more info:
-- Start reading Surprise Child on your Kindle in under a minute!
Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!