Fertility has become a very hot topic these days with the surge in both assisted reproductive technology (ART) and adoptions.
ART typically consists of medications, intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF) with the sole purpose of becoming pregnant.
In general, experts tell women under 35 years old to try regularly to get pregnant at ovulation for 12 months before considering additional work-up. Women between 35 and 40 years old should try for six months.
Whether you are in your first month or your first year without success, here are five tests to talk about with your doctor.
1. Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
2. Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
4. Full Thyroid Panel
5. Test for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
6. BONUS TEST! Prolactin
Photo credit: iStockphoto/Thinkstock
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Is Your Body Baby-Friendly?:
Unexplained Infertility, Miscarriage and IVF Failure - Explained
by Alan E. Beer, Julia Kantecki, Jane Reed
-- A unique book—the first of its kind. No longer do patients have to accept that their infertility is "just bad luck" and they just have to "keep on trying."
No longer should women with recurrent miscarriages have to listen to their doctor telling them that their loss was "God's will" or that they ought to be thankful because their baby was probably chromosomally abnormal.
The statistics simply do not support such claims—in fact, they show that repeated reproductive failure can be a symptom of wider health problems in the mother.
Furthermore, the root cause can be treated—not only to promote the chances of a successful pregnancy, but to improve the mother's health long-term.
Paperback: 500 pages - Click to order/for more info:
Is Your Body Baby-Friendly?
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• My Frugal Baby Tips: Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!