Women wanting to get pregnant should eat a Mediterranean-style diet rich in avocados and olive oil but light in dairy and meat, an IVF conference has heard.
New research indicates a diet containing lots of monounsaturated fat - found in the fleshy green fruit, olive oil, as well as peanuts, almonds and cashews - can as much as triple the chance of success in women resorting to fertility treatment to conceive.
Specialists believe such a diet could help the majority of women wanting to get pregnant naturally as well.
By contrast eating lots of saturated fat, found in dairy products and red meat, appears to damage women's fertility, the Daily Telegraph reported. High saturated fat intake has already been linked to lower sperm counts.
They found that - perhaps unexpectedly - women with higher intakes of polyunsaturated fats tended to have lower quality eggs.
Photo credit: Amazon.com
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
Fertility and Conception: A Complete Guide to Getting Pregnant
by Zita West
-- Aimed at couples that are planning to start a family, from those who have already experienced problems conceiving to those who have only recently decided to have a baby, Fertility and Conception is loaded with advice and up-to-date information on maximizing fertility.
Bridging the gap between conventional and complimentary treatments, the book offers a unique approach to fertility by offering "Plan A", a 4-week preconception program of diet and complimentary therapies, and "Plan B," which focuses on combining conventional treatments such as IVF, with complimentary treatments.
In clear, easy-to-understand prose, the author provides cutting-edge information on all the latest fertility tests and treatments, and offers advice on how to achieve healthy ovulation through diet, correct hormone balance, and reducing the effects of disorders that derail fertility.
Paperback: 192 pages
Click to read more
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!